Past and Future
pink box new. maybe discuss other todo also? --MF, 12/21/17 "Impact" is a noun. --bh
In this lab, you will consider the implications of computing to the workplace.
On this page, you will discuss how technology has changed jobs and how it may affect what jobs are available in the future.
EK 7.2.1G Advances in computing as an enabling technology have generated and increased the creativity in other fields.
EK 7.4.1B Mobile, wireless, and networked computing have an impact on innovation throughout the world.
JK: I don't have a place for this note from Brian: I'd like to say something, if we can make it understandable, about the way non-physical products (software, movies, etc.) distort the market for physical stuff (especially housing). People get rich on ideas, but you can't eat ideas, and the supply of real stuff isn't infinitely expandable, so in effect real stuff becomes more expensive for people not in the virtual-stuff business.
- With a partner, brainstorm about the following, and then share your ideas with the class.
- Name some jobs that exist now, but didn't exist 25 years ago.
- Name some jobs that existed 25 years ago that no longer exist today (or at least mostly don't exist today).
- Name some jobs that don't exist today that you think might exist in 25 years.
- What jobs (if any) do you think computers will never be able to do?
- What jobs (if any) do you think computers should never be allowed to do?